Finding Help – Where can I go for help?

The Dyspraxia Foundation can help you to find sources of support in your area. It publishes a range of leaflets, booklets and books on aspects of the condition call 01462 454986.

For pre-school children

Talk to you GP and Health Visitor: they can refer your child to a paediatrician or a Child Development Centre. The appropriate psychologist, physiotherapist, speech and language therapist or occupational therapist can then assess your child for dyspraxia

For school-age children

Talk to your GP, school nurse, school doctor or Special Needs Co-ordinator who can make referrals for assessments. Hospital referral may be required for special tests or treatment. There is useful information in the SEND Guide for Parents and Carers

For adults

Problems experienced in childhood may continue into adulthood. Initial contact should be made with your GP who may refer you to a clinical psychologist, consultant neurologist, physiotherapist or occupational therapist. The Foundation’s Adult Support Group may be able to help – email Janet Taylor; 

What about the future?

Although dyspraxia is not curable, children with the condition may improve with growing maturity. Symptoms in children and adults can lessen if they are given appropriate treatment and advice on practical actions to minimise the day- to- day difficulties that their dyspraxia can cause.